Monday, September 7, 2020

Our FAITH Journey

 


    The title, "Our Faith Journey," is actually a play on words that we are using to link how our own journeys to faith in Christ highlighted God's call on us to start working at Faith Academy. 

Egbert
    I grew up in a Christian home in northern South Africa. Both my parents were strong believers and were very involved in ministry at church. Despite my upbringing, I had slipped into a rhythm of cultural Christianity in my teenage years, lacking a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. As I started attending university, I slipped even farther away and became more self-centered.
    God had others plans for me though and sent good Christian mentors to challenge my worldview and faith. Not only did they challenge me to turn to God, but they also encouraged me when I found it hard to let go of the past. God used my parents and upbringing, as well as those key people during my university years to lead me into a personal relationship with Him.

Alyson
    I was a missionary kid in Kenya for the first 8 years of my life. I was also raised in a Christian home where I learned who God was and started my relationship with him. As life went on there was an aspect of my faith that was borrowed, but towards the end of high school and into the first years of university I started to own my relationship with Christ. 
    From the time I was in middle school, I knew that I wanted to be a missionary overseas. I caught the travel bug and the yearning to serve others through building relationships. Being an MK, I understand how even though parents may be missionaries and followers of the Lord, their children have to make a choice to follow God on their own. 

    90% of the student body at Faith Academy are missionary kids. They have such a rich inheritance in Christ, just like we did, yet many of them do not have personal relationships with Christ. Our hearts ache to think that any of them should fall away. The other 10% of the student body at Faith Academy are made up of children of business-people, many of whom are not believers. Our hearts rejoice at the thought of these students and their families coming to Christ. 
    Through our own testimonies, God has made His calling clear to us. He set our hearts on fire to help tend His flock at Faith Academy, so that none would go astray, and so that those who are lost may be found.

This 6 minute video shares some testimonies from the Faith Academy Community




    The Philippines' borders are still closed, and we are not yet able to physically be at Faith Academy. Even in this, God is faithful. Alyson's parents are still graciously sharing their house with us, allowing us to set up our home classrooms from where we record instruction videos and conference with our students. School officially started online on August 24th, and the first two weeks went really well. Praise God. Weekly student conferences and homeroom periods also kicked off on August 31st as a means to build relationships with our students, assist them academically, and check in on their mental and spiritual health. It has been great meeting the students and interacting with them in this way. God has also pressed it on the hearts of many people to partner with us in His ministry, and we are now 60% partnered with for this year. 


Prayer Requests:
For encounters with our students that will lead to spiritual growth.
For the Philippines' borders to open.
For more ministry partners.





No comments:

Post a Comment

March